Monday 26 January 2015

Life After Mary and Re Learning How to Juggle

Well..I'm back...and after a four month absence, I've finally sat down to write my first blog post of 2015. Now there are a couple reasons for my absence, one, I've been vacillating on what to write about next, and two, I've been busy. That's right, busy.
 I've been thinking a lot about being busy lately. There's definitely good busy, and then there's being so busy, that it can take away from life and it's enjoyment. I'm unsure why, but in this day and age, we seem to wear our busy schedules like a badge of honour. Think about it, often when asking someone how they are doing, more often than not, they'll ramble on about how they're juggling three jobs, a home life, and whatever extra curricular activity they may be pursuing at any given moment. They relay this information with great pride, almost as if they should be given a special award for the ability to maintain their busy lifestyle. Then we have the other end of the spectrum, you know, those times in our lives when we're not very busy at all. For some reason, we as a society have come to be embarrassed by this fact. I find that in the business of Art/Theatre/Entertainment, we become even more embarrassed by this  because usually being "not busy" means we are not working. I don't know about you, but in the past, I used to feel my self worth as an artist, was directly related to the jobs I was being cast in. It took me a long time to realize that not to be true. In fact, at times, being "not busy" means I have more time to train, connect with people I love, take on new and exciting projects, or, even being in a show.
Allow me to explain that last statement. I had an amazing season last year with Mary Poppins. I was able to perform in two different productions, in three wonderful theatres. There are many things I loved about last season...working with wonderful, giving artists, travelling and living in different places, being given the opportunity to perform multiple roles, the list is abundant and real. One of the things I loved most, is that once the show was up and running, my schedule was normal. That's right, normal. I had one job, a lot of leisure time, and I loved it. I was able to spend a lot of time at the gym, re-connecting with friends and family, and honestly, just enjoying my life. It was great!
As Northbrook in Mary Poppins backstage at The Capitol Theatre in Port Hope
Towards the end of the run in Port Hope, with not a lot of work lined up, I thought to myself, "I just want to be really busy." Well...I got my wish. The week before our run in Port Hope was about to finish, the only work I had lined up was teaching one class a week at Metro Movement, and I was nervous about not having enough work to sustain me. As luck would have it, Sheridan College found themselves in need of a jazz teacher, and once again I was hired. It was a relief. If nothing else, my mortgage was covered. Upon my arrival home, I also managed to book a lot of catering shifts, and from there, the ball just kept rolling. In October I started working part time at The Four Season's Centre for the Arts, (a job that I have become quite fond of), and although every situation is not ideal, I felt that indeed I had been looked after. Now, I have never been one to shy away from hard work, but my greatest challenge of late has been finding balance in my life. At present I'm juggling four jobs, to make up for one. Now don't get me wrong...I'm not complaining, I'm just re learning how to juggle. I've had to become more aware of what's important and what warrants my time the most. Many would think that spending time to write this blog may in fact be a waste of time for someone so busy. Well, on the contrary,  for me, I find it very rewarding. Just like I find going to a dance class or vocal class very rewarding. In my life , these are the things that are still important.

One of my greatest joys in this past four months was being cast in The Confidential Musical Theatre Project. (I know...as if I didn't have enough on my plate). The Confidential Musical Theatre Project is the Brain Child of Marion Abott Piccin and Rob Corbett. For those of you who don't know, the concept is this: Producers cast a show and send you the script and score. You learn the music and familiarize yourself with the part you've been cast in, but never rehearse with the other actors. Then on the night of the show, you meet the cast, (for the first time), an hour and a half before the show, and perform, script in hand on a bare bones stage, for an audience that does not know what show they're about to see. There's no safety net, you have no idea how the other actors are going to respond, and there's no going back... It's terrifying and invigorating at the same time. I can honestly tell you that I had never felt more alive and more present on stage than I had on that night. When I was first approached about doing this project, I jumped at the opportunity. I did not ask what the show was, or what part I'd been playing, I just said yes. I had heard about the companies past two shows, and my short background at Second City had made me very excited to work on a project of this nature. Imagine my surprise when I found out that I had been cast as the leading man. I was flattered, surprised, and kind of scared. This would be my first time doing a lead in a musical and there were sure to be expectations, and if I'm totally honest, judgement. I could just hear it..."Stephen Findlay, the dancer, doing a lead in a musical...how did that happen? Can he even sing?"  But once I got over myself, (realizing that the voices of judgement and fear were for the most part mine), as well as the initial shock and fear of the producers casting decision, I got to work...which didn't feel like work at all. I learnt the music, and dove in to the script to see if I could figure out who this person was. Not having the benefit of a director, I truly had to trust my gut on whatever choices I made, knowing that I'd never have the opportunity to re visit or re think these choices again. That's right, this was a one night only
The cast of Bells are Ringing where I played Jeff Moss for The Confidential Musical Theatre Project
opportunity. During my preparation for this project, one thing that had become more and more apparent as the night drew close, was that one of the best things I could do was just to be present in the moment, to listen, and to make sure I had my fellow cast members back...just in case any of  us should drop the ball, and you know what, we did. All of us, at one point, dropped the ball, and the audience loved it. We supported each other fully in the process and maintained the integrity of our story telling. It made me aware that although I was playing a lead, I was in fact, a member of a greater ensemble. I had realized that through this project I had been given a gift. I was able to step on that stage, sing beautifully written music, in a beautifully crafted show, with truly talented actors, for a sold out house. I even got to improvise a dance break in one of my numbers. What more could any actor ask for. It was truly an experience that I would not trade, and one that I recommend to any actor given the opportunity.
I saw this the other day on facebook and found it inspiring
Like everyone else who pursues an artistic life, I do question the choices I made and am continuing to make. Like everyone else, money, relationships, and lifestyle are important. At times I think that perhaps this may be the time to pursue something more secure and what most would consider to be a more normal existence. But really, normal is highly over rated and who wants to just exist. My reality is such that I want to live a life that is full and rich. I want to have cool life experiences and I want to continue to live with the enthusiasm of someone who is just starting out. Yes, there are bumps in the road, and no one gets through life unscathed. That's a given. But knowing that as a reality, makes the argument for living your life fully, and with passion, that much more important.
One of the things that has become very apparent in my life is that finding the time to train in my field, to continue to take risks, and to keep growing as an artist, is directly connected to my vitality and well being. Although I often must conscientiously set aside time to do this, it is time that is well spent. I find that for me personally, if I don't feel like I'm active in my artistic life, a part of me feels incomplete. So yes, I'm having to juggle and at times I do have a lot on my plate, but at the end of the day, I'm grateful for living a life that means something to me.
I encourage all of you to go out and do something that moves you. Take a risk, try something new, or simply do something you love for the shear joy of it. If you don't have the time, find it or...just learn how to juggle. I guarantee it will make that busy life we all seem to lead far less busy and
that much more rewarding.
Yours Truly Stephen Findlay
A.K.A. The Oldest Male Chorus Dancer, (who also sings and acts), in Toronto

2 comments:

  1. You were terrific in Bells are Ringing. I was so sure that you had rehearsed the dance routine!

    If there are two comments, please delete one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope...I had ideas as to what I'd do, but never rehearsed.It was a blast!

    ReplyDelete